Water skiing, water tubing and other towed water sports
Towed water sports are great fun! Be it water skiing, water tubing or any number of other towed water sports, vigilance is necessary to keep the good times rolling.
Here are some basic rules to keep in mind:
- Always wear a life jacket and fasten it properly.
- Put the engine in neutral while the skier is getting in the water.
- Have a third person on board to keep an eye the person being towed.
- Make sure to maintain a safe distance between the engine propeller and the person in the water.
- Check the weather—visibility is crucial, both for the boat driver and skier. It’s best to water ski on clear days, when water turbulence is at a minimum.
Here are more detailed articles featuring water-skiing safety for all types of equipment, advice on how to wear a life jacket and general precautions to be aware of.