Boat insurance

Relax on the water knowing you have the right coverage for your boat

Find a broker

Trusted by over 2.8 million customers

Whether it’s hoisting the sail, weekend watersports, or luxury cruising, our insurance coverage is designed for life on the water. Boat insurance is available exclusively through Insurance Brokers.

Choose the right coverage

Enjoy standard features and choose from optional types of coverages

Optional coverages

Need enhanced coverage?  Customize your policy with these add-ons.

To learn more about these options contact your insurance representative.

Expanded navigation territory

Add coverage to Southern US, Caribbean and Bahamas


Guaranteed replacement cost

Dinghy and auxiliary engine(s) coverage

Downrigger coverage

The boat insurance you need

With Aviva's marine insurance, you'll get:

Marine rescue, tow and rental

A marine rescue and tow for boaters stranded on the water are included in every policy at no additional charge. Plus, you’ll get a free rental while your boat is out for repair.

Leading medical coverage

You will get market-leading medical coverage if you’re injured while on board, embarking or disembarking

Broad navigation territory

Coverage follows you anywhere in Canada and the upper United States and can be extended to the Southern States, Caribbean and Bahamas.

Frequently asked questions

We answer your questions on boat insurance

Why boat insurance, versus insuring my boat on my home policy?

With a specialized boat policy, you receive additional coverages such as Pollution Liability, Wreck Removal, and coverage for vermin, emergency towing, and more.

As the country's largest insurer of recreational vehicles, we've been protecting Canadian fun for more than 60 years.  So we get what's uniquely important to your lifestyle, and design coverage that takes care of all the details - so you can just relax and enjoy life.

Is boat insurance mandatory? Do I need it?

It's not legally mandatory to have boat insurance. However, if your boat is financed, your lender will most likely require you to maintain boat insurance.

I'm planning to rent out my boat. Will you provide coverage?

Operating a boat requires unique skills and knowledge, whether it's operating the boat or navigating the waterways. Unfortunately, our boat insurance policy will not cover you if you rent or lease your boat, as the person you rent or lease to may not know how to operate your boat or navigate in the waters where it is being used.

If I'm planning to make some modifications to my boat, what do I need to do?

We may not provide coverage for your boat for speed and performance modifications, but we will provide coverage if you've added a permanent trolling motor, trim tabs, and similar types of modifications. Be sure to let us know anytime you plan to make any modifications, to ensure your boat has enough coverage. 

Who is covered under my boat insurance policy?

Your policy covers:

  • you as the policyholder
  • your spouse
  • your dependents
  • immediate family members, and
  • any other person operating your boat with your permission.

Why is liability coverage needed on a boat insurance policy?

Liability coverage is required for us to financially protect you if you have a claim. It will cover the cost of damages you and everyone else under your policy are responsible for causing to any other person (known as "third parties"). The liability protection also covers the costs of pollution clean-up and wreckage removal.  

I plan on using my boat for business. Am I covered?

Our boat policy is designed for private pleasure use. While it's insured by us, your boat may only be used for carrying passengers or goods for compensation or payment if we have first approved that use of your boat. 

Can I use my boat in the U.S. and still be covered?

Our boat policy provides a broad navigational territory. The navigational limits are:

  • Inland waters of Canada and the U.S.A., not south of 40 degrees north 
  • Waters of the Great Lakes and tributaries including the St. Lawrence River, and the Hudson River above the George Washington Bridge
  • West Coast - limited to not north of the northern most Canadian territorial waters and not south of 40° north within Canadian and U.S. coastal waters only; at no time are you to proceed more than 100 nautical miles offshore, except: 
    • Not more than 20 nautical miles off the west coastal/tidal waters of Vancouver Island and Haida Gwaii (formally known as the Queen Charlotte Islands); or on the Fraser River above the mouth of the Sumas River

Waters of the west coast of Vancouver Island and Haida Gwaii are particularly rough. Only metal hull sea worthy watercraft are intended to navigate these waters.

  • East Coast - limited to not north of 52 degrees north and not south of 40 degrees north within Canadian and US coastal waters only; and not more than 100 nautical miles offshore

What affects my rates?

Marine insurance policies are calculated based on the value of your boat and the coverage you buy. If you were to use your boat south of the 40th parallel in the U.S., you would pay an additional premium. 

How much will you pay to replace my boat if it has to be rebuilt after a claim?

When it comes to paying claims, if a boat up to 15 years old is a write-off, Agreed Value coverage pays you the amount you insured it for when you took out your policy. If your boat is up to three years old, you have the option to cast off in a brand-new boat (even if it costs more than the policy limit).

Insurance brokers, the right choice for you

Get expertise for your insurance needs from coverages, pricing options, claims support and discounts.