Damage caused by a tornado: Am I covered?

Likely! Rest assured. Contrary to popular belief, the vast majority of basic home insurance policies cover property damage caused by many natural disasters, such as lightning, tornado, hail, high winds and other unpredictable weather events. However, conditions, restrictions and exclusions may apply, please refer to your insurance policy or speak to your broker.


Damage to your vehicle caused by strong winds or tornadoes will be covered if you have purchased “All perils”, “Comprehensive”, or “Specified perils” coverage on your automobile insurance policy, which is the case for most of the of policies purchased in Quebec.


What to do if your property is damaged from a tornado

  • Contact your insurer to make a claim, as soon as possible.
  • If your residence poses no danger to you and your family, clean the affected areas and items exposed to water damage to prevent further damage.
  • Keep property that has been damaged until a claims adjuster assesses the damage.
  • Keep invoices and any supporting documents relating to the expenses incurred.
  • Take pictures or videos to document the damage to your property.


What is covered under your home insurance?

  • Building
  • Personal property (contents)
  • Detached private structures (swing, garden furniture, shed, fence)
  • Pool and spa – if you have purchased the additional coverage “pool and spa” 
  • Debris removal expenses


In addition to the property damage mentioned above, home insurance policies may provide coverage to reimburse housing and food expenses if you have to evacuate or can’t stay in your home. However, before incurring expenses, it is important to check your insurance policy or speak to an adjuster. Remember to keep the invoices for temporary accommodation, meals or transportation so they can be taken into account when settling your claim.


Your insurance policy also covers food spoiled from power outages, up to a certain amount. Keep the evidence and take pictures.


Here are some examples of things that  wouldn’t be covered: tree uprooting, vegetable garden, tomato plants


What to do if your vehicle is damaged from a tornado

  •  Contact your insurer as soon as possible to make a claim. Your insurer will advise you what to do to have your vehicle repaired and recommend a repair shop to have the damage assessed.
  • If your vehicle is insured with Aviva, go to Aviva.ca to find a recommended repair shop near you that will assess the damage.
  • Take photos or videos to document the damage to your vehicle.


If your home and auto are insured with Aviva, you will only have to make once phone call to start a claim for your home and your auto. For example, after you open your home insurance claim with us, the home insurance claims representative will transfer you directly to an auto claims representative to make your auto claim.


What about the deductibles?

The deductible is the portion of the claim that you pay and will be applied to the total amount you receive from us for the loss to settle the claim. If the tornado caused damage to your home and vehicle, and they are both insured with Aviva, only one deductible (the higher one) will be applied to your claims.


If you don’t have both of your home and auto insurance with Aviva, and the tornado has caused damage to your home and vehicle, two deductibles will be deducted from the total amount you receive from the insurers for the loss to settle the claims : your home insurer will deduct one and your auto insurer will deduct the other.


Sources :

Newswire.ca - Tornadoes and high winds: insurance policies cover the damage, August 2017


Chad (in French only)



The content in this article is for information purposes only and is not intended to be relied upon as professional or expert advice. Aviva and the Aviva logo are trademarks of Aviva plc. and are used under licence by Aviva Canada Inc. and its subsidiary companies.