What are additional claims expenses?
Your NautiMax boat insurance policy protects you well beyond property damage to your boat. In fact, if you have purchased insurance in agreed value or in actual cash value, you should know that your policy includes Additional Claims Expenses coverage. This benefit covers:
- Rental of a substitute boat
If you are unable to use your insured boat as a result of a loss (accident or theft), your insurer Aviva will reimburse you for the reasonable cost of renting a replacement boat of the same type and size until your boat is repaired or replaced.
In addition, if you need to rent a replacement boat, you will not have to purchase an insurance policy with the rental company, since your NautiMax policy provides for the extension of "Property Damage" and "Civil Liability" coverages from your contract to the replacement boat.
- Reimbursement of some expenses
If the loss or damage interrupts your trip, vacation or holiday, your insurer will also reimburse you for reasonable additional expenses incurred for accommodation, meals or alternate means of transportation such as taxis or public transportation (train, bus).
Please note that the Additional Claims Expenses coverage does not apply to personal watercraft.
Claim reporting and payment of compensation
- Before incurring any expenses, the first thing to do is to contact your insurer Aviva to file a claim as soon as possible.
- The claims adjuster will explain the steps involved in the process to have your boat repaired or to rent a substitute boat.
- Whether for expenses incurred for accommodation, meals, transportation or the rental of a replacement boat, the indemnities to which you are entitled will be paid to you upon presentation of the invoices and after evaluation by the claims adjuster assigned to your file.
The Additional Claims Expenses Coverage is limited to a maximum of the amount specified on the declarations page of your policy for any occurrence.
The content in this article is for information purposes only and is not intended to be relied upon as professional or expert advice. Aviva and the Aviva logo are trademarks of Aviva plc. and are used under licence by Aviva Canada Inc. and its subsidiary companies.