A recent national survey conducted for Aviva Canada by Pollara Strategic Insights, shows that:
- Over 50% of Canadians are unprepared to navigate the claims process, following a car accident.
- Most consumers are not aware of what to say to tow truck drivers.
- Very few Canadians completely understand their rental coverage and some may overpay as a result.
- About one third of Canadians are very likely to use an insurer-approved auto repair shop.
Towing, auto repair, and rental suppliers are critical in getting you back on the road, after an accident. The sad reality is that there are some suppliers in the auto insurance system who take advantage of consumer vulnerabilities and overcharge or cause delays.
So what should you do?
Here are the top three tips for drivers following an accident:
1) Call emergency services, if necessary.
2) Call your insurance company or broker.
3) Avoid signing any blank work order forms or agreements from tow, repair, or rental vendors.
Calling your insurance company or broker is important as they can connect you with preferred vendors who will provide a more timely experience, lower costs, and more satisfying claims experience. These preferred vendors are vetted and are monitored to ensure they provide the best possible service.
Aviva customers who go through a preferred vendor:
- Have their claim settled, on average, 30 days faster
- Save over $1,000 in claim costs
- Are more satisfied overall with their claim
Have confidence throughout your claims experience by placing one of your first calls to your insurance company or broker.
Visit www.aviva.ca/en/claim/make-a-claim and learn more about Aviva Canada’s preferred network.