Are there fire hazards in your home?

Electrical power bar

Besides a few well-known dangers, people often overlook some other potential fire risks in their homes.

It only takes a few minutes to ensure you’re taking the proper safety precautions with everyday household items. Your insurance company can be a great source of information to safeguard your home. Here are some simple tips from Aviva.

When using electrical and/or extension cords:

  • Check before you use. Always check cords for damage before using them. If they’re damaged, they can spark and cause a fire.
  • Invest in a high-quality power bar. If you’re using multiple small appliances and devices, choose a power bar that can handle the load. Also, never plug a power bar into another power bar.
  • Don’t run cords under carpets or rugs. Doing this could cause damage to the cord and spark a fire in the rug.
  • Use the right cords outdoors. Make sure all extension cords used outdoors are weatherproof and suitable for how you intend to use them.
  • Look for the ULC certification. Ensure that the extension cords you use are certified by the Underwriters Laboratories of Canada.  

When using a clothes dryer:

  • Empty the lint trap before each load.
  • Ensure the dryer vent is clear from any obstructions. 
  • Vacuum the exhaust hose every few months.   
  • Only use the dryer when someone is home.

For more information, please speak with your insurance broker.

The information provided in this article is intended for general knowledge only and is not professional advice. Copyright in the whole and every part of this site belongs to Aviva Canada Inc., unless otherwise indicated, and any material on the site may not be used, sold, licensed, copied or reproduced in whole, or in part, in any manner or form or in or on any media to any person without the prior written consent of Aviva Canada Inc.