Product spotlight: Cottages and Cabins
With the cost of cottages/cabins expected to rise an average of 13 per cent across Canada in 2022, your customers probably have a new appreciation for their home away from home.
While this puts them in a winning market position, it’s important that cottage/cabin owners maintain their nest eggs by paying attention to proper upkeep.
Here are 5 things to recommend they take care of at this time of year:
- Tree maintenance: Assess the treescape on the property and identify any dead or weak branches or trees that are close to the cottage/cabin. Windstorms can cause even huge trees to topple and damage cottages/cabins.
- The foundation: Take a flashlight to the interior and exterior base of your cottage/cabin with an eye out for cracks. Any cracks larger than a hairline should be seen by a professional.
- Windows: Help ensure drafts and water stay out of the cottage/cabin by inspecting the condition of the windows. Have new caulking applied if the seal isn’t tight and damaged screens replaced.
- Decking: Help preserve wood from rot by applying a zinc-based wood preservative every spring.
- Smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector. Spring is a great time to replace batteries or swap out old units to help protect your cottage/cabin all year long.
Spring is also an ideal opportunity to remind cottage/cabin owners of their RetreatLife coverage – and everything that comes with it.
Aviva’s specialty claims team
Our specialized experts know cottage/cabin policies inside and out and they have the knowledge and authority to make decisions that ensure your customers get the care and attention they deserve when they have a claim. The Aviva Lifestyle claim promise includes: No more waiting until Monday to start a claim. Your customers have a 24/7 direct line to dedicated Aviva Lifestyle experts who will get things started immediately. One point of contact will guide them from start to finish.
Aviva’s RetreatLife product offers coverage for:
- Island cottages/cabins
- Cottages/cabins accessed by water
- Log cabins
- Standalone policies
- Out of province or multiple ownership
- Cottages/cabins with wet boathouses or additional waterfront property
Included in all policies
- Guaranteed Replacement Cost
- Single limit coverage (few exceptions apply)
- Docks, hot tubs, bunkies and sheds
- Premises Liability ($1M)
- Rental coverage (30 days), with Fair Rental Value coverage
- Damage caused by bears, raccoons and squirrels
- Collapse – for both building and contents
Optional coverage enhancements
- Up to 180-day endorsement to extend 30-day rental coverage
- Buy-up for Premises Liability up to $5M
- Dwelling Under Construction
- Wet boathouses
- Additional waterfront locations not within the cottage premises
- Centrally-monitored burglar alarm
- Bundling home/auto with cottage/cabin
- Centrally monitored heat sensor
- Mature (50 years old and older)
- Centrally-monitored power outage detection alarm
- Water alarm
Visit LifestyleQuote to quote, bind and request changes and endorsements for this product.
Get more details about this product in the Lifestyle Resource Centre on AvivaPartner.
Aviva and the Aviva logo are trademarks used under licence by the licensor. RetreatLife products are underwritten by Elite Insurance Company. The content in this article is for information purposes only and is not intended to be relied upon as professional or expert advice. For specific information about a product, or exact terms, conditions, coverage definitions, exclusions and limitations, please refer to the customer’s insurance policy wording or the latest underwriting manual on avivapartner.ca. Product availability varies by province.