1. What is Aviva Journey?
Aviva Journey is a usage-based insurance program (“Program”) provided by Aviva Canada Inc. and its affiliates (“Aviva Canada”) to enable you to obtain a personalized premium which can decrease or increase based on your driving habits.
To participate in the Program you will have to install the Aviva Journey mobile application published by Aviva Canada in the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store (“Application”) which will use your smartphone’s instrumentation (such as GPS, accelerometer etc.) to continuously collect information about your driving behaviour and transfer this information to Aviva Canada and the Program supplier. In addition to determining your potential discount or surcharge, the information collected and transferred will be used by Aviva Canada to design, operate, enhance, and administer the Program, as described in detail in the “ How is my Personal Information used?” section below.
2. Am I eligible?
To participate in the Program, you must meet the following conditions:
- you must be the principal driver of an eligible private passenger automobile that has active liability coverage and is listed on an eligible automobile insurance policy with Aviva Canada;
- your smartphone must be compatible with the most recent version of the Application and you must ensure that the Application is installed and updated when required;
- you must maintain a data plan with your mobile service provider, allowing the Application to transfer data to Aviva Canada and the Program supplier;
- you need to provide us with your mobile telephone number and email address, and they must remain valid throughout your enrolment in the Program;
- you have expressly consented to your broker and/or agent to receive communications, commercial electronic messages, such as text messages, from or on behalf of Aviva Canada or the Program supplier in connection with the Program;
- if you provided your broker and/or agent with the email addresses and mobile numbers for the other principal drivers on the same policy, you are acknowledging that you had full authority to provide your broker with those email addresses, numbers and obtained express consent on behalf of all enrolled drivers to receive communications, commercial electronic messages, such as text messages, from or on behalf of Aviva Canada or the Program supplier in connection with the Program;
- your region must have cellular coverage available to sufficiently gather Collected Data (as defined in the “What Personal Information is Collected?” section below) regarding your driving behaviour (you can contact your mobile phone provider for details); and
- you must remain enrolled in the Program and keep the Application activated for the duration of the automobile insurance policy that covers your automobile, including subsequent renewals.
- you must be a principal driver and hold a valid driver’s license.
3. How do I enrol in the Program?
4. What happens if I do not activate the Application?
You have 15 calendar days from the date you are sent the welcome text message and/or email to download and activate the Application. If the Application is not downloaded and activated within the 15 calendar day period you will be removed from the Program. Any Program enrolment discount will be removed and an updated Certificate of Automobile Insurance and Automobile Billing Statement will be sent to you. Re-enrolment in the Program following your removal, and the ability to again receive the Program enrolment discount if re-enrolled, will be at Aviva Canada’s sole discretion.
5. How do I use the Application?
Your smartphone’s location services (GPS) must be turned on at all times, and you must give the Application permission to access other required data (i.e. accelerometer and gyroscope), to allow collection of Collected Data.
Once the Application is installed and activated, it will detect certain movements, record trips and tag them automatically.
Only trips where you were driving a private passenger automobile should be used to determine your Program score. If a trip was incorrectly tagged by the Application, you will be responsible for correcting its tagging within 7 days of the applicable trip.
Information relating to each trip, as well as your current and projected Program renewal discount or surcharge, is available in the Application.
6. If the Application has logged me out what should I do?
If the Application logs you out and requires you to log back in, you will need to use the email address and password created upon set-up to log back in.
7. If I change my email address, what should I do?
If you change your email address, you must contact your broker or agent to have your account updated to ensure the accuracy of data collection is not impacted.
8. When should I use the Application, and can I use it while driving another automobile?
The Application must remain activated on the smartphone of each principal driver that is enrolled in the Program.
Each time you drive a private passenger automobile, whether or not it is enrolled in the Program, you must have your smartphone with the installed and activated Application in your possession (see “How can I access/correct my tagged trips?” below).
9. What if there is a change in automobile or principal driver?
Should you or the policyholder wish to make any changes to the automobile insurance policy regarding an enrolled vehicle or principal driver, you must first contact your broker or agent. Failure to do so may lead to an extension of any collection of Collected Data and/or removal from the Program.
10. Can multiple drivers on the same policy enrol in the Program?
Each principal driver listed on the automobile insurance policy may be enrolled in the Program as long as they comply with all eligibility requirements. The Program enrolment discount and/or Program renewal discount or surcharge will only be applied to the premium of the enrolled principal driver of each automobile. Only one Application will be issued to the enrolled principal driver of each eligible automobile.
11. Can more than one driver use the same Application?
Only one enrolled driver can sign into the Application at a time on the same smartphone.
12. Will I be able to track my driving behaviour?
The Application will allow you to track trips and Collected Data. You can review these in the Application for at least the last 30 days.
You will also be able to view the potential Program renewal discount or surcharge that you may be eligible for at your next renewal. Your eligibility for renewal is subject to Aviva’s underwriting rules.
Please note that you may not be able to track Collected Data when you are using the Application in certain regions where cellular coverage required by the Application to transmit Collected Data relating to your driving behaviour is non-existent or insufficient.
13. How can I access/correct my tagged trips?
The Application will allow you to tag detected trips with information such as whether you were the driver or passenger (i.e. passenger in an automobile or public transit). For your convenience, the Application may also auto-tag detected trips based on an understanding of your past driving behaviour. The Application will allow you to review or correct these auto-tagged trips within 7 days.
14. Can I transfer the Application to another smartphone?
You may transfer the Application to another smartphone, however, in order to do so, you must sign out of the Application on your smartphone, download the Application onto your new smartphone and log into the Application there.
15. Does the Application affect the battery life of my smartphone?
Use of the Application may affect your smartphone’s battery life. You must ensure that the smartphone is charged and activated when the vehicle is being driven so that Collected Data may be recorded.
16. Will I be charged by my mobile service provider for use of the Application?
The Application is free and can be downloaded via Wi-Fi or cellular data. However, unless you are connected to a Wi-Fi network, downloading the Application and the Application itself will use your cellular data to transfer Collected Data to Aviva Canada and the Program supplier. You are responsible for assuming all roaming fees, data fees (including overage), plan fees and any other fees your mobile service provider may charge as a result of your download and use of the Application.
17. Will I receive a discount or surcharge for Using the Application?
Upon enrolment, you will receive a one-time Program enrolment discount that will be applicable until your first renewal, provided you install and activate the Application within 15 days of receiving the welcome text message (SMS) and/or email with instructions to download and log into the Application. If you have been enrolled in the Program for at least 120 days prior to your automobile policy renewal notification being processed, your Program enrolment discount may be replaced by a Program renewal discount or surcharge based on Collected Data for the following driving events:
e) distracted driving (i.e. using your smartphone while driving).
The driving events may be contextualized in light of various factors such as:
a) road type
b) day of week
c) time of day
d) distance travelled.
If you have been enrolled in the Program for less than 120 days prior to your automobile policy renewal notification being processed, your Program enrolment discount will continue until your next renewal. On your next renewal, your Program enrolment discount may be replaced by a Program renewal discount or surcharge based on the driving events/factors listed above and Collected Data. Your eligibility for renewal is subject to Aviva’s underwriting rules.
These driving events/factors and the number of kilometers driven will be continuously collected while you remain in the Program. The length of your enrolment in the Program may be adjusted to match your or the policyholder’s automobile insurance policy’s renewal date or the time we commence our renewal notification process.
During your enrolment in the Program, you must be tagged as the driver by the Application for a minimum of 1,000 kms to be eligible for a Program renewal discount or surcharge (see “Unsatisfactory collection of Collected Data” below).
Please note that enrolment in the Program does not guarantee entitlement to any Program renewal discount or surcharge, which varies based on Collected Data.
18. How is a discount or surcharge determined?
Collected Data displayed on the Application
To help you understand and visualize how you can improve your driving, the Application will translate Collected Data into comprehensible driving events and a personalized Program score will be displayed in the Application.
Upon enrolment, you will receive a one-time Program enrolment discount that will be applicable until your first renewal. (see “Will I receive a discount or surcharge for Using the Application?” above).
At renewal, if eligible, a discount or surcharge may apply based on Collected Data. (see “Will I receive a discount or surcharge for Using the Application?” above). Your eligibility for renewal is subject to Aviva’s underwriting rules.
For the remainder of your enrolment in the Program
As long as you remain enrolled in the Program, your discount or surcharge will be updated based on Collected Data collected prior to the commencement of our notification process of each renewal. Your updated premium will only be effective as of your renewal date.
Effect on premium
While you are enrolled in the Program, for each renewal, your automobile insurance premium may be:
- Increased – if your Program score is decreased;
- Decreased – if your Program score is increased; or
- Unchanged – if your previously earned Program score does not change.
Whenever your automobile insurance premium is updated, you or the policyholder will receive a corresponding Certificate of Automobile Insurance including your Automobile Billing Statement indicating any adjustment in premium:
- If the premium has already been paid in full, a refund will be issued if the premium has decreased, or an additional amount will be due if the premium has increased;
- If the premium is paid monthly or by another payment method, the payment schedule will be adjusted accordingly to reflect increased or decreased payments.
Upon each renewal, your premium may increase or decrease based on factors other than a change in the Program score.
Unsatisfactory collection of Collected Data
If the Application has not been able to log you as the driver of at least 1,000 kms over the period of 12 months prior to the processing of your renewal documents, your Program enrolment discount, Program renewal discount or surcharge will cease to apply until your next renewal provided you meet the minimum kilometer requirements recorded by the Application. (see “Will I receive a discount or surcharge for Using the Application?” above).
19. How will my discount or surcharge be applied?
A Program renewal discount or surcharge will apply to the premium of the following coverages (where applicable) on each eligible automobile for the enrolled principal driver: Collision or Upset, Comprehensive, All Perils, Specified Perils, Uninsured Automobile, Direct Compensation - Property Damage, Liability, Accident Benefits (Standard Benefits).
20. What happens if the Application is deleted or does not collect and transfer Collected Data?
The Application runs in the background on your smartphone, detecting your trips and gathering Collected Data. The Application must remain activated at all times except in the event of extenuating circumstances (e.g. failure of the smartphone or unavailability of the mobile network) or unless directed by Aviva Canada. (see “Does the Application affect the battery life of my smartphone?” above). If the Application is deleted, it will stop gathering Collected Data.
If you have accidentally deleted the Application you can re-download the Application from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store and enter your email and password (created upon set-up). The Application will pick-up where you left off.
We reserve the right at our sole discretion to terminate your enrolment in the Program should we not be able to capture an accurate assessment of your driving behaviour, if we deem there to be any misuse of the Application, or if you reside or if the automobile is used in certain regions where the cellular coverage is non-existent or insufficient.
In the case of a malfunction of the Application or pursuant to our request, you may be required to uninstall the Application from your smartphone. As a result, reinstallation and/or reactivation of the Application on your smartphone may be required to continue with any ongoing collection of Collected Data.
21. What happens if my enrolment in the Program is terminated?
If you wish to opt out of the Program, or if you have any questions about terminating your enrolment in the Program, please contact your broker/agent.
Should you decide to opt out of the Program, or if your enrolment is terminated, the Application will stop gathering Collected Data as of the date of your deactivation of the Application and you will no longer be eligible to receive either a Program enrolment discount or any earned Program renewal discount or surcharge. Your premium will be adjusted accordingly as of the date Aviva Canada completes your unenrolment from the Program (not the date of your deactivation of the Application). Following unenrolment, you will receive an updated Certificate of Automobile Insurance.
22. How will Aviva Canada protect my privacy?
23. What Personal Information is collected?
The information collected and transferred by the Application includes:
- information we get directly from your smartphone’s network and instrumentation (to enable the Application to automatically detect trips), such as global positioning system (GPS) time and location data, Wifi, network status and connections, accelerometer data, gyroscope data, background location services data, background screen data, barometer data and other smartphone or instrumentation data;
- information you enter directly about detected trips in the Application, such as whether you were driving. The Application determines the mode of transit (e.g. automobile or public transit) you were taking and other trending information on your trips;
- technical information about your smartphone’s hardware or software, such as smartphone make and model, operating system version, software version, and other technical information relating to your smartphone (e.g., Phone model, device ID); and
- information you have permitted the Application to access via Application permissions
(collectively the “Collected Data”).
24. Will Collected Data still be collected if I am outside Canada or the United States?
If you have your smartphone with you, we do not require you to have your cellular data turned on to record your trips while travelling outside Canada or the United States. If your cellular data is on, Collected Data can be tracked globally. You are responsible for assuming all roaming fees, cellular data fees (including overages), plan fees and any other fees your mobile service provider may charge you as a result.
25. How is my Personal Information Used?
Collected Data (alone and in combination with third party data such as road map software to contextualize the data) will be used to enable Aviva Canada to:
- design, operate, enhance, and administer the Program by:
- determining the driving events we use or may use in the future for the purpose of determining your Program score.
- improving our understanding of your driving behaviour and activities, for example, where you drive, what times of the day you drive, how much you drive, what type of roads you drive on, what type of weather you drive in, and other data collected about specific trips in order to more effectively review and update your rating criteria (i.e. location principally garaged, distance driven annually, usage type (pleasure/commute/business), etc.);
- detect, investigate, process, assess (i.e. fault determination) and settle insurance claims;
- detect, prevent and suppress fraud (i.e. disclosing, pooling or analyzing Collected Data and other data in cooperation with fraud prevention organizations); and
- conduct research and development to enhance and refine scoring models.
Collected Data will not be used to:
- decline a risk;
- cancel your automobile insurance policy; or
- refuse to renew your automobile insurance policy.
Also, please note that:
For the assessment of your renewal premium, Collected Data may be used with other rating and underwriting criteria for the adjustment of your premium; and
any Program renewal discount or surcharge adjustment occurring during your automobile insurance policy term will only be done in light of the corresponding Collected Data (see “Will I receive a discount or surcharge for Using the Application?” above).
26. How is my Personal Information disclosed?
Aviva Canada works with service providers who provide technology, systems, and services necessary to administer the Program. As a result, your Personal Information may be transferred by us or directly by the Application to these service providers who provide data processing, storage, and related services on behalf of Aviva Canada. We require these service providers to protect and handle your Personal Information in a manner consistent with our own practices as well as applicable law.
We will not otherwise disclose your Personal Information specific to the Program to third parties, except as reasonably necessary to design, operate, enhance and administer the Program or as permitted by law, unless we have your consent.
27. Where is my Personal Information stored?
To administer the Program, we may transfer your Personal Information to our service providers who provide data processing, storage and related services.
Where your Personal Information is collected, used, disclosed or stored outside of Canada, we will attempt to contractually protect it, however, it may be subject to the laws of that jurisdiction and may be accessed by the courts, law enforcement and national security services of that jurisdiction.
28. How long is my data stored?
29. What if I am not the policyholder?
Only Collected Data will be collected, used, and disclosed by the Application for purposes of the Program. If you are not the policyholder, you acknowledge some Collected Data will be accessible to the policyholder as a result of your enrolment in the Program.
30. Who do I contact if I have questions about my privacy?
If you have any questions about your privacy or would like more information, please contact our Privacy Office at:
Aviva Canada Inc.
10 Aviva Way, Suite 100
Markham, ON L6G 0G1
31. Any other questions?
If you have any questions about the Program, or any technical questions about downloading or activating the Application or its functionalities, please contact your broker/agent, or visit our website at www.aviva.ca for more information.
32. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
The Application is made available “as is”, “with all faults” and “as available” and it is used by you at your own risk. Aviva Canada and its licensors make no warranties or guarantees of any kind, express or implied, including but not limited to any implied warranties or merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement. Aviva Canada and its licensors do not warrant that the Application and its operation and any data collected will be uninterrupted or error or defect-free, that any errors or defects in the Application will be corrected, that the data will not be lost or damaged, or that the Application or server(s) that make it available are free from viruses, disabling code or other contaminants.