Common reasons your insurance claim could be denied.

A girl in car

For the second year in a row, Aviva has released its Global Claims Report, revealing that Aviva paid 99% of customer claims in 2018. To help you better understand the claims process, we’ve outlined some of the common reasons the remaining 1% of claims don’t get paid.

1. Not Knowing Your Policy

A claim can be rejected if your insurance policy doesn’t cover the  type of risk claimed. Aviva is working to make the language of its policy documents clearer because it is essential that you understand what your policy includes so that there are no surprises. You can call your broker, agent, or your insurer at any time to ask questions about your policy and what is or isn’t covered.

2. Non-Disclosure

It is important that when purchasing an insurance policy, you disclose all pre-existing conditions and other crucial information. In most cases, non-disclosure is a genuine oversight, but your insurer may not be able to accept claims for risks it didn’t know of beforehand.

3. Missing Documentation

At times, an insurer may not be able to accept a claim if it cannot be verified. Aviva is working to simplify its claims process, but it is crucial that customers submit all documentation to show their claim is valid. Documentation can be evidence of an accident, invoices, and any other documents that could be relevant to the claim so that it can be paid.   

4. Fraudulent Claims

Auto insurance fraud is costing Canadian’s approximately $2 billion every year, and is one of the reasons customers pay more in premiums. Aviva takes a zero tolerance approach to fraud, that’s why we sometimes challenge claims when there is reason to believe they are fraudulent.

What’s next?

Aviva is doing its part to make the claims process easier and more efficient. Through Aviva’s launch of Canada’s first automatic “First Notice of Loss” service at Collision Reporting Centres, Aviva customers are able to open a claim automatically when they report an accident. Aviva is working towards serving its customers how and when they want.

To learn more, click here to read an interview with Bryant Vernon, Chief Claims Officer at Aviva.

Read more like this

The content in this article is for information purposes only and is not intended to be relied upon as specific professional or expert advice. Aviva Canada accepts no responsibility for action taken as a result of reliance on any information contained in this article.

Copyright in the whole and every part of this site belongs to Aviva Canada Inc., unless otherwise indicated, and may not be used, sold, licensed, copied or reproduced in whole or in part in any manner or form or in or on any media to any person without the prior written consent of Aviva Canada Inc.