Rated AA- by Standard and Poor’s and Fitch Ratings
No matter what kind of retail business you’re in – from clothing to electronics, bakeries to building materials – you need the right insurance protection. Aviva offers customized coverage for retailers just like you, so your assets will be protected and you can focus on your business. Retail insurance is available exclusively through insurance brokers.
Choose the right coverage
If you’re in the retail business we’ve got the experience to provide you with the right insurance coverage such as:
Coverage for your buildings, exterior glass and signs, towers, renewable energy equipment, sewers and utilities above and below ground on the premises* and more.
- contents coverage includes customers’ goods, electronic equipment (including laptops) on and off premises, goods in transit
- brands and labels, building damage by theft,
- personal effects of officers, employees and customers
- accounts receivable and seasonal stock increase up to 50%
- coverage for property held by others±
- transportation coverage±, including reefer breakdown
- and more
Coverage to protect you in case of lawsuits for bodily or mental injury and property damage, personal and advertising injury liability, tenant’s property damage liability and voluntary medical payments.
- employers’ liability
- employee benefits liability
- non-owned automobile third party liability
- and more
Protection for accidents to compressors, heating systems, electrical panels, mechanical or electrical machines or apparatus including production machinery.
- ammonia contamination
- errors and omissions
- fluid escape
- hazardous substances
- loss of income± including fines and penalties, internet service utility service interruptions and restricted access
- and more
A broad range of coverages, including:
- employee dishonesty
- money, securities and other property
- counterfeit currency and money orders
- forgery, alteration, credit card and automated teller card
- electronic fraud and funds-transfer fraud
- incoming cheque forgery
- client or customer property
- medical expense incurred from robbery
- seasonal increase
Add even more protection
- cyber insurance** helps you prevent and respond to cyber security threats
- commercial auto coverage***
- umbrella coverage provides an extra layer of liability coverage in the event of a catastrophic loss
*within your property lines, areas under adjoining sidewalks and driveways, and in or on vehicles within 100 m
**availability limited to certain operations
***commercial auto is offered on a separate policy
± optional coverage
Customize your retail policy with these optional enhancements:
Coverage for complex risks
Some retailers have more complex risks than others, for example, you may own stores or property located in the U.S.
Insurance solutions you need
With Aviva Business retail insurance, you'll get:
Retail insurance experts
Experts who understand the needs of a wide range of businesses within the retail segment.
One comprehensive policy
In addition to what’s offered in our standard policies, this specialized package includes unique protection.
Access to our wide network of claims professionals
In the event of a claim, we’ll help you get back on track by resolving it efficiently and hassle-free.
Frequently asked questions
We answer your questions on business insurance
Why do I need commercial property insurance for my business?
To keep your business operating you rely on having its physical assets protected, such as the building, equipment, inventory and stock, tools, contractor’s equipment and rental income. A commercial property insurance policy protects your assets from damage or destruction.
What is Commercial General Liability (CGL) insurance? Why do I need it for my business?
CGL insurance is designed to protect your business from being found legally liable for injuries or property damage caused by your product, completed work or accidents on your premises involving visitors or customers, or at your customer’s location. Standard coverage includes - Bodily injury and property damage liability, Personal injury liability, Medical payments and Tenant’s legal liability. Every day your business is exposed to different liability hazards associated with the work you do. No one thinks a claim or a lawsuit will be filed on their business until it happens. Having the right CGL policy for your business is one of the smartest decisions you can make to protect it.
What could happen if I don’t have the right coverage in place for my business?
Your business could be responsible for paying for claims or lawsuits on your own. These expenses could be in the form of damages to third parties, legal defense costs, replacement of uninsured property, among many others. Depending on the nature of the loss, this could result in an unexpected expense for the business. Or in more severe cases, it could have a significant impact on the ability for your business to remain open.
Insurance brokers, the right choice for you
Get expert advice for your business insurance needs.