Property and Liability Insurance

Protect your business from loss, lawsuits and more

Find a broker

Rated AA- by Standard and Poor’s and Fitch Ratings

Whether you operate a small, mid-sized or complex business, Aviva offers a wide range of property and liability insurance solutions. Business insurance is available exclusively through insurance brokers. 

Choose the right coverage

Coverage is available as a package or as individual coverages (eg – Property only).

  • Property

    Coverage includes building(s), stock and equipment located on your premises as well as utilities above and below ground on the premises*, signs, exterior building glass.

    Additional extensions of coverage include:

    • building upgrades
    • environmental upgrades – build back better
    • landscaping and growing plants shrubs or flowers
    • business contents away from premises and while at employee residences
    • valuable papers
    • accounts receivable
    • and more
    *within your property lines, areas under adjoining sidewalks and driveways, and in or on vehicles within 100 m


    All businesses should protect themselves from the unexpected, including:

    • bodily or mental injury
    • property damage liability
    • personal and advertising injury liability
    • tenant's property damage liability also known as tenants’ legal liability
    • voluntary medical payments
    • non-owned auto
    • legal liability for damage to rented automobiles

    Equipment breakdown

    Important systems such as computers, photocopiers, production machinery, heating and air conditioning, point-of-sale (POS) systems and refrigeration equipment are protected in case of:

    • electrical arcing
    • mechanical breakdown
    • pressure explosions
    • centrifugal force


    The product provides a broad range of crime coverages, including:

    • employee dishonesty 
    • money, securities and other property
    • counterfeit currency and money orders
    • forgery, alteration, credit cards and automated teller cards
    • electronic fraud and funds-transfer fraud
    • professional fees 
    • incoming cheque forgery

    Umbrella liability

    This insurance is not included in most commercial insurance policies, but can be added to an Aviva Enterprise policy. This extra layer of liability coverage designed to go above and beyond other liability policies, providing higher liability limits in the event of a catastrophic loss.

Insurance solutions you need

With Aviva Enterprise Property and Liability business insurance, you'll get:

Protection of physical assets

Coverage for buildings, stock, equipment and computers, including equipment temporarily away from your premises*.

Access to our wide network of claims professionals

In the event of a claim, we’ll help you get back on track by resolving it efficiently and hassle-free.

Protect your business

We have experts who will work with you to manage the risks associated with your business no matter the industry.

*within your property lines, areas under adjoining  sidewalks and driveways, and in or on vehicles within 100 m

Frequently asked questions

We answer your questions on business insurance

  • Why do I need commercial property insurance for my business?

    To keep your business operating you rely on having its physical assets protected, such as the building, equipment, inventory and stock, tools, contractor’s equipment and rental income. A commercial property insurance policy protects your assets from damage or destruction.

    What is Commercial General Liability (CGL) insurance? Why do I need it for my business?

    CGL insurance is designed to protect your business against lawsuits for injuries or property damage caused by your product, completed work or accidents on your premises involving visitors or customers, or at your customer’s location. 

    Standard coverage includes:

    • Bodily injury and property damage liability
    • Personal injury liability
    • Medical payments
    • Tenant’s legal liability 

    Every day your business is exposed to different liability hazards associated with the work you do. No one thinks a claim or a lawsuit will be filed on their business until it happens. Having the right CGL policy for your business is one of the smartest decisions you can make to protect it.

    What could happen if I don’t have the right coverage in place for my business?

    Your business could be responsible for paying for claims or lawsuits on your own. These expenses could be in the form of damages to third parties, legal defense costs, replacement of uninsured property, among many others.  Depending on the nature of the loss, this could result in an unexpected expense for the business. Or, in more severe cases, it could have a significant impact on the ability for your business to remain open.

    What additional coverage should I consider when purchasing insurance for my business?

    Each business will have different risk exposures to consider. Be sure to speak with your insurance broker who can provide you with consultative advice and customize an insurance policy that is right for your business.  Below are a few examples of standard coverages to consider as you review your insurance needs:

    • Commercial Auto—provides coverage for your commercial vehicles that are used to run your business operations.
    • Excess liability—provides additional coverage limits to supplement those under the CGL and Commercial Auto policies.
    • Professional liability—also known as Errors and Omissions (E&O), provides a form of liability coverage designed to protect your professional advice and service organizations.

Insurance brokers, the right choice for you

Get expert advice for your business insurance needs.