Rated AA- by Standard and Poor’s and Fitch Ratings
If you’re looking to protect your project or contracting business, Aviva can provide you with the flexibility to select the right insurance, custom-built to protect you from start to finish.
Choose the right coverage
If you’re a builder or contractor, we’ve got the experience to provide you with the right insurance coverage such as:
Coverage for all property at the project site, including:
- all materials required
- landscaping, growing plants or trees
- temporary buildings, scaffolding, falsework and hoardings
- temporary infrastructure during construction
- project materials while in transit to the site
- project materials while in storage at another location, awaiting delivery to the project site
- all contractors and subcontractors are additional insureds
Covers testing and commissioning± of normal building systems and equipment intended to service the building, including coverage for mechanical and/or electrical breakdowns. Covered equipment may include:
- boilers, chillers, pumps, electrical panels, domestic plumbing, sprinkler systems, air conditioning and HVAC systems
Wrap up liability
Covers third party liability arising from:
- bodily or mental injury and property damage
- personal and advertising injury
- tenant’s property damage
- and more
Coverage meets the requirements of Canadian Construction Documents Committee (CCDC) and provides comprehensive protection for:
- project owners, project managers, architectural and engineering consultants and all contractors and subcontractors working on the project
Coverage available for Extended Completed Operations period for Wrap up.
- residential construction – for builders, project owners or developers
- commercial, industrial and institutional - office buildings, condominiums, schools or hospitals
- civil works - infrastructure projects
- including portable equipment and hand and power tools
- employees’ tools and clothing
- clean up expenses for land and water pollution
- rental reimbursement
- loss of use
- expediting expense
- loss of earnings±
- contractors’ equipment breakdown±
- and more
Coverage to protect you in case of lawsuits for bodily or mental injury and property damage, personal and advertising injury liability, tenant’s property damage liability and voluntary medical payments.
Other coverages** include:
- employers’ liability
- employee benefits liability
- work removal expense
- contractors’ limited E&O liability
- pesticide applicator’s pollution liability
- commercial auto***
- umbrella coverage provides an extra layer of liability coverage in the event of a catastrophic loss
- and more
If you own or rent space in a building, office or workshop, coverage is available for:
- your buildings including exterior glass and signs, towers, renewable energy equipment, sewers and utilities above and below ground on the premises* and more
- your office contents and equipment, electronic equipment (including laptops) on and off premises
- accounts receivable
- extra and expediting expenses
- and more
On your premises, protection for accidents to compressors, heating systems, electrical panels, hoists, mechanical or electrical machines or apparatus, including production machinery.
- ammonia contamination
- fluid escape
- hazardous substances
- portable objects**
- loss of income resulting from an equipment breakdown±
- and more
A broad range of coverages, including:
- employee dishonesty
- money, securities and other property
- counterfeit currency and money orders
- forgery, alteration, credit card and automated teller card
- electronic fraud and funds-transfer fraud
- professional fees
- incoming cheque forgery
Add even more protection
- builder's risk - blanket
- builder's risk - soft costs and delay in start-up available
*your premises includes the area within your property lines, areas under adjoining sidewalks and driveways, and in or on vehicles within 100 m.
**coverage limited to certain operations
***commercial auto is offered on a separate policy
± optional coverage
For your surety needs
Financial security guaranteed to get the job done
Whether your project includes bridge building, sewer, tunneling or hospitals, you can guarantee your commitments with a contract surety bond.
Aviva has a full suite of surety, home warranty and insurance solutions for your project and your business.
Insurance solutions you need
With Aviva Business Builder’s Risk and Contractors’ insurance, you'll get:
Construction project insurance experts
Experts who understand the needs of a wide range of businesses within the builder’s risk and construction sectors.
One comprehensive policy
In addition to what’s offered in our standard policies, this specialized package includes unique protection.
Access to our wide network of claims professionals
In the event of a claim, we’ll help you get back on track by resolving it efficiently and hassle-free.
Frequently asked questions
We answer your questions on business insurance
Why do I need commercial property insurance for my business?
To keep your business operating you rely on having its physical assets protected, such as the building, equipment, inventory and stock, tools, contractor’s equipment, business income and rental income. A commercial property insurance policy protects your assets from damage or destruction.
What is Commercial General Liability (CGL) insurance? Why do I need it for my business?
CGL insurance is designed to protect your business from being found legally liable for injuries or property damage caused by your product, completed work or accidents on your premises involving visitors or customers, or at your customer’s location. Standard coverage includes - Bodily injury and property damage liability, Personal injury liability, Medical payments and Tenant’s legal liability. Every day your business is exposed to different liability hazards associated with the work you do. No one thinks a claim or a lawsuit will be filed on their business until it happens. Having the right CGL policy for your business is one of the smartest decisions you can make to protect it.
What could happen if I don’t have the right coverage in place for my business?
Your business could be responsible for paying for claims or lawsuits on your own. These expenses could be in the form of damages to third parties, legal defense costs, replacement of uninsured property, among many others. Depending on the nature of the loss, this could result in an unexpected expense for the business. Or in more severe cases, it could have a significant impact on the ability for your business to remain open.
Insurance brokers, the right choice for you
Get expert advice for your business insurance needs.